[TenTec] Argosy I issues as well as Argosy II issues

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy I issues as well as Argosy II issues
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:40:42 -0400
gang..

while waiting on parts for the Omni B rebuild from Ten tec, I took
down another project or two from the racks

I have a rather strange argosy I,

for some reason, whom ever used this radio never liked cw..NO cw audio
filter, but it has a 1.8 khz ssb filter

the audio sounded really bad, and if you just tapped the case
anywhere, the cw would vibrate (?) hard to describe...

anyway after working on this all evening, i found the problem..

at one time or another someone had one of the pcb assemblies out. One
of the metal spacers that holds the pcb above the chassis had gotten
loose and rolled under the RF/Mixer pcb. the metal spacer would short
out a pcb trace and that's what caused the trouble.

One down...

The other project is a Argosy II.

this one will produce RF power just fine except for the 80 meter band,
I get very little, about 10 watts, yet on 40 and above there's 45
watts into a 50 ohm load.

I've checked the band switch and everything seems in order. The PA
must be working as it producing power on the other bands. On TX on 40
I have 7ish amps from the power supply. On 80 meters I get see about
3.5  amps.

Any one ever seen this problem before?

mike

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced