Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:21:29 +0000 (UTC)

The problem of heating an unmatched balun is one of the reasons that I chose
the Palstar AT5K. It has a 1:1 balun at the input side of the tuner, that way
it sees a 50-ohm load on each side when the tuner is matched. There's a great
writeup on that on page 25-15 of my 2006 ARRL Antenna Book. Dean Straw, N6BV,
reasoned that a 4:1 balun at the output would seldom see a matched condition
and could overheat or arc at 100 watts, let alone full power. The design in the
Antenna Book uses a 1:1 balun on the input side of the tuner also

Dave

WA3MKB