Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up? Thanks !

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up? Thanks !
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:01:16 -0500
OK I'll accept the fact that the Palstar tuner uses a 1:1 balun on the
input.  Now that raises the question, and I guess I could have researched
it, but then is the Palstar tuner a balanced tuner?  As I recall you have a
balanced load connected to it.

One other thought is the fact that the balun is not providing adequate
isolation on 160M, thus current is flowing on the outside of the coax, thus
the SWR meter will certainly misbehave under this condition and the amp
might actually take off into an oscillation.

Or there is come component breaking down in the tuner or the antenna.  I've
known of one instance where the antenna center insulator broke down at high
power but showed normal conditions at low power.

Just a few thoughts.

73
Bob, K4TAX