Re: [TenTec] poor harsh audio on OMNI-V

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] poor harsh audio on OMNI-V
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:59:01 -0500
I probably repair 5 or 6 of these units per year.  I'd say 4 out of  5 have
been "peaked & tweaked" for better performance by an unknowing operator.
The result is a call to Bob and a package arriving at my door for repair.

I have found things like filters in the wrong slots, advertised "high
performance" filters installed which are basically crap, modifications
poorly implemented, poor alignment, bad switches, dirty connectors, faulty
IDC connectors, rodent urine, and a host of other issues.  Rarely is there a
true failure within the radio but most are operator induced.  If one doesn't
have the proper and accurate test equipment and the knowledge required, best
leave the covers on.

And NO, I AM NOT SOLICITING BUSINESS ON THE REFLECTOR.  I have all I can
handle at present.

73
Bob, K4TAX