Re: [TenTec] Aux I/O connection

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Aux I/O connection
From: "Dick Williams" <k8ztt@mho.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:42:18 -0600
Bob,

No doubt that other digital modes are highly reliable and in many cases are
better than RTTY; however, it depends on what your interests are within the
hobby.  For a DXer (like myself), I see very few (if any)  major DXPeditions
run anything but RTTY (and maybe some PSK31).   I don't know as if it would
be pracitcal or even productive for them to operate all the various digital
modes.  There was even an interesting article on the RTTY/digital modes in
one of the last QST's.

One could also consider CW to be slow and antiquated; but this mode seems to
alive and well on the bands (especially 160M), and I think RTTY is going to
be around for a long time too.

As far as running AM,  personnally I can see no advantage in AM at all.  50%
of your power is used for the carrier, by switching to SSB, that power is
now in the "business end".   But to each his own; and the vast majority of
modes, interests, and bands to operate is what makes amateur radio one of
the best hobbies one could get into.

Dick K8ZTT