[TenTec] Differences between 565 and 566?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Differences between 565 and 566?
From: Adam Wade <espresso_doppio@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
According to everything I have read and seen so far, it would appear the only
real differences between the 565 (orion) and 566 (Orion II) are the faster,
larger instruction set processor chip and the color display plus whatever
support hardware is needed for color vs. monochrome.  There is a slight
difference in the roofing filters, I am guessing a slightly different first IF?
 Not sure what is changed there, or how significant the impact of the change
is...

If all this is indeed the case, then it should be possible to "upgrade" a 565
to just about all of the 566 spec, with 566 firmware, by replacing a few
(albeit not cheap) boards.  I wonder how feasible it would be to do this
conversion, sort of like augmenting one of the Omni models to the newer spec...
 I for one would be interested in at least considering such an option for the
future.  If the cost to retrofit was under $1k, it would certainly be something
I might consider as a future purchase, and the less it cost, the more I'd be
willing to consider it.  ;)

 ! Adam Wade -==- AF6ME -==- Ten-Tec Orion & SteppIR BiggIR Mk III !
! "I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead  !
! of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote !
! down, I spend z time looking for the paper I wrote it down on." !
!       - Beryl Pfizer    -=-    http://www.allthings550.com      !