Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:04:06 -0400
Most all of you know this, but for the benefit of those that might be new to
it.....

Plain aluminum, when exposed to oxygen in the atmosphere for a very short
period of time, immediately forms a clear, invisible, oxide layer.
Furthermore, this oxide layer is an excellent electrical insulator.  So, if
allowed to form, it effectively blocks the electrical path.

Even if you make very tight, direct, metal to metal contact, oxygen can,
over time, "worm" its way in at the molecular level and degrade the
electrical quality of the joint.

The purpose of the various "greases" made for this purpose is simply to
exclude oxygen from reaching the joint.  You slop it on liberally, then
tighten your joints hence making clear metal to metal contact  (All this
after cleaning first of course) and the "grease" then keeps that contact
pristine later, by excluding oxygen.

Of course, tightening the joint mechanically forces the grease out of the
actual point to point metal contact, so that it is connected effectively.

The grease might, as a side benefit, help with later disassembly, but that
is not its purpose.

The oxide layer is such a good insulator, that if allowed to form in house
wiring for instance, can cause resistive heating to the point of causing a
fire.  And it frequently does exactly that.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ