Re: [TenTec] New Orion 1 - 2.063Xg

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion 1 - 2.063Xg
From: Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:07:29 -0400
Doug,

Thanks for the report.  I can see how Stan could say they don't care
about the reflector, but I'd be surprised if that's really true for
everyone at TT.  They certainly need to monitor things for spin
control, if nothing else.  (Then again, our President says he never
watches cable news.  Maybe that's a sign of sanity.)

It does mean that if anyone has an issue that they want TT to know
about and act upon, they need to communicate with the company
directly.  Grumbling here can't be nearly as effective.

In the software world, there are often several beta releases leading
up to a "release candidate" and then a "release".  (But some famous
Internet services never get beyond "beta".)  Apparently the new
firmware is really a release candidate.  I.e., if nothing dreadful is
found, it will just be relabeled and shipped as the final release.

I like the new sweep display.  It appears to have greater dynamic
range and the moving marker is just the right thing.  In older
versions, the sweep freezes when you tune rapidly, but there is no
clear indication.

I am puzzled by the band-specific audio levels.  Why would anyone
want/need that?  I suppose it doesn't hurt.   IF/AF AGC?  Different
strokes.

What's really missing for me is a single button mode/band control:
40cw, 20psk, 80ssb, etc., along with appropriate changes in passband,
AGC, audio source, levels, etc.  I'm tired of fooling with User
1/2/3/4 for mode switching.

73 Martin AA6E