Re: [TenTec] New Orion - 2.063Xg

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion - 2.063Xg
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:30:05 -0500
Thank You Ten-Tec!!

After returning from Dayton Hamvention I installed firmware V2.063Xg. All my
testing so far indicates this is a really great release of firmware for the
Orion. The audio sounds very good - no indications of overload distortion.

One of the very helpful features of the AF AGC is that the manual notch filter
is inside the AGC loop. Therefore, when you are trying to notch out a CW signal
- inside the IF bandwidth - the notched signal does not pump the AGC (Although
you can certainly hear the difference, you can also see the difference on the
S-Meter as it moves very little due to the notched CW signal)! Very helpful for
trying to work a very weak signal next to a much stronger signal - such as you
find on 160M when you are trying to work a DX station next to a strong
state-side station! This capability existed in the V1.X firmware but was lost
in the V2.X firmware until now. Thanks again Ten-Tec!

The power setting by band is very helpful when using an auto-tune amplifier,
like the Alpha 87A, when the drive requirements are different on different
bands to achieve the same power output. A great usability improvement.

With testing of each of the previous V2 releases I have found myself going back
to V1.373b5 for various reasons - sometimes  to get back the "non-AGC-pumping"
manual notch filter and the great audio. It looks to me like I will be staying
with V2.063Xg with no compromise in performance and some great new
functionality.

Great work Ten-Tec! You have certainly made the Orion a top notch transceiver
with the V2.063Xg  ....  and I also have a fully configured K3.
73, Merle - W0EWM