Re: [TenTec] Schematic for 311 Band Data Decoder?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Schematic for 311 Band Data Decoder?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:28:26 -0600
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 14:46 -0400, Eric Rosenberg wrote:
> TT says they don't have a schematic for the 311, which apparently isn't
> really a Band Data Decoder, but rather an inverter.
>
> Have any of you opened up the box and looked at it.. or reverse engineered
> it?  I'd like to control my Herc II with something other than my Orion, but
> am not sure how to wire it up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric W3DQ
> Washington, DC

http://www.tentecwiki.org/webarchive/311/ Says its an inverter. Takes
open collector lows from the Orion and pulls its outputs high using a
surface mount 2N3906 PNP transistor on each line. Probably ties the
transistor emitters to +13 volts, and has a 1.5 K resistor from each
transistor base to the input pin. There could be a LED in series with
each resistor for an indicator. Maybe a 1.5K resistor from transistor
base to emitter to guarantee shut off. It that's all its doing, that's
about how I would do it, if the other rigs needed 13 volts pulled up for
control. If they needed TTL, I'd use a 74HCT14 or two.

But without the Orion documentation, I can't say what pins to connect or
how to build the cable.

73, Jerry, K0CQ