Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec visit

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec visit
From: "David & Chris Drake" <drakes@psci.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 10:36:03 -0400
Hi all,
OK, a lot of TT tour and store questions.  Here's my experiences.......
maybe this will shed some more light on what to expect.

I normally visit Ten Tec at least once per year.  Been doing this for at
least 15 years.  The Smoky Mountain area is wonderful to visit and a lot to
do.  I often take a radio or other accessory in for checkup, and simply drop
it off on say Wednesday, and pick it up on Friday.  Sometimes its ready next
day.  I've done this with early Omni's, Corsairs, later Omni's, Amps and
power supplies.  To do this I just call ahead so they are expecting it.  As
for a store, ... not what I'd really call a store.  A room about 14 ft x 20
ft.  A display case with 3-4 used TT radios for sale, a brochure rack, some
other displays for antenna parts, project boxes and other misc. ham stuff.
Not at all like going to AES, HRO or similar.  You'd probably see more TT
stuff at a large hamfest.  They've added a lot more stuff over the years and
continue to add and reorganize their showroom space.

Ten Tec focus is more on quality, .... not much for show.  In the past, the
new radios have been displayed in the "museum room" and are hooked up for
ham use.  This room is about the size of a large office room or large ham
shack.

As for on site tours, I don't think they have ever advertised one.  I
suggest anyone wishing one, to call ahead.  That would be common courtesy in
my opinion.  There are only a handful of people who work out front, Paul
Clinton is usually back in the service department and most of the time they
are all busy, so arranging ahead would be the proper thing to do.  Sure, ...
if you pop in and they have some time available, I'm sure someone would be
happy to take you through the plant.  Very hospitable, southern style.  Oh,
.... and they'd be happy to sell you a radio too!

Its not a big place, so don't be disappointed and expect to see a sprawling
manufacturing complex with a paved parking lot.  Back in the day, RL Drake,
was not a big place either, and actually about the same size.

Whenever I go there, I normally have two emotions that I go through..... one
I feel sorry that there are so few people involved selling these fine
products as well as the spartan "store", and two, my admiration for how well
they do with such a small staff.  Certainly more dedication than we find in
most industries today.

The store/factory is open during the week, normal business hours, located
just a short 10 min. drive east from the main intersection in downtown
Sevierville.

Have fun !!
David
Wd9cmd