Re: [TenTec] How to sell an Omni VII

To: Ten Tec <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to sell an Omni VII
From: James Duffer <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:22:21 -0500

> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:12:39 -0400
> From: k8vt@ameritech.net
> To: tentec@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to sell an Omni VII
>
> waltk8cv4612amos@att.net wrote:
> > One of my favorites is " worked fine, when last used " ! I definitely do a
> > little whirl, swish and a side step after reading that ................
> >
> > Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.
> >

> Well, I ran into what I think is one legitimate exception...
>
> I bought a TT Omni B from a really old gent at a local swap and he said
> "it worked when last used". When I got the radio home and on the bench,
> it -didn't- work.
>
> However, there were two reasons to not be mad at the old gent:
>
> 1) The radio was is storage for a -really- long time.
>
> 2) Eight or nine ceramic capacitors, spread across several boards, had
> cracked, with chunks of ceramic peeling off. Not the previous owner's
> (or TT's) fault. A manufacturing defect that no one could have foreseen.
> Also, a couple of electrolytics had gone leaky from age.
>
> So, I contend that there are a few legitimate reasons to say "it worked
> fine when last used" but doesn't work today.
>
> Carter  K8VT

I agree with you.  I became a believer when stationed in Germany in the early
60's.  I had 14 AN/GRC-46 radio sets that were used primarily for training
radio repairman assigned to Germany.  The school was located south of Bad Toelz
in Lenggries, Germany (almost in Austria).  Occasionaly they were used on other
missions.  There was a major who wanted me to guarentee this particular
Transmitter T-195 would work when it was relocated to another located about 100
km away.  I wouldn't do it, I told him that I could demonstrate it working
there, but wouldn't guarentee it to work later.  Well he decided to get a
rebuilt set from the US
Army depot at Pirmaseans France (spelling?).  It arrived all nice and shiny, we
put it in the hut, hooked it up, removed the blower covers etc.  Applied power,
turned it on, the blowers came on after a normal time delay, the dynamotors
kicked in, then we begin to smell something, and smoke began to emit from the
blower port.  The major just set there in disbelief, that a depot rebuilt unit
didn't work.  A second one was obtained and it did work when hooked up, and it
worked at the new location.  But I wouldn't of guarenteed it.  Things happens!

Jim WD4AIR