[TenTec] Corsair II resurrection update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II resurrection update
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:45:01 -0700
 I'd mentioned some weeks ago finding a Corsair II as part of an
estate being handled by a friend, the isolation from the RX antenna
jack and normal TRX jack showed something wrong.  I was directed to
the t/r-swr board and a couple of diodes and a transistor used to
change the signal path (thanks, Jerry and Don!).  I note that in the
schematics, Q2 on the T/R board is shown as a "6514" - and I note for
any of you who might go in there, it is not a 2N6514, but an MPS6514,
really different transistors.  The diode types are not shown in the
manual, but D1 and D2 are simple 1N4007's .
 It turned out I had no problems with these parts.  One connector was
reversed to the T/R board (66) and it was causing the problem.  Took a
while to spot it, but a moment to fix it.  Well, after a lot of
disassembly, it was an easy fix!  I got some progold and lubed
things, cleaned things, put it all back together, waxed and cleaned
the cabinet, cleaned up the front panel and knobs and I now have it
front and center as my main rig.  All seems fine.  I may get the
board to stabilize the PTO, but find this particular one is really
pretty good overall.
 One request - anyone have a standard Corsair type knob with the
aluminum insert in place?  I have one knob with missing insert (well,
a couple of them in my junkbox!)  Ten Tec does not have them anymore.
It's not a big deal, but would be nice to match that one knob.  I have
stuff to trade in my Ten Tec parts junkbox for the favor!
 Clark
 WA3JPG
 Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
 Professor of Computer Science (and regular guy)
 Cal Poly State University
 San Luis Obispo, CA. 93407