Re: [TenTec] Burghardt amateur center

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Burghardt amateur center
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:12:07 -0600
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 00:11 -0400, Richards wrote:
> Burghardt has closed its store, and does not sell retail any more.  The
> DO continue to repair radios.   Same web pages get you to them.
>
> Too bad... I bought everything in the shack that does not say TenTec on it.
>
> ===========  K8JHR  ================

I drove by the store two weeks ago this evening. Looked bare, no
antennas showing, grass growing through the cracks in the parking lot. I
didn't bother checking on Saturday morning to see if there was activity.
The reports I've seen were that they do still sell what is in stock,
mostly parts the last I looked and I didn't find anything that I needed
when I downloaded their new or used lists.

I guess they went out of retail business because we didn't buy enough.
I've seen many a small ham store go under in my 54 years of being a ham,
often from lack of enough business to pay the utilities and to keep up
the fancy test equipment the radio makers demanded to allow proper
servicing. Few of the fancy signal (or plain) signal generators will
accept 100 watts from a transceiver while giving out a signal to test
the receiver. Repairs from those events are expensive. Then there's
quantity from the factory. It seems the big retailers can often sell for
less than the little retailer can buy for and that's a sure way to end
of business when the internet and long distance telephone allows
competitive shopping.

73, Jerry, K0CQ