Re: [TenTec] 610 Has started shipping today

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 610 Has started shipping today
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:12:24 +0300
On Aug 31, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Speer, Doug wrote:

> OK, I'm the slow guy in the class.  I get that the 610 is a USB keyer
> allowing paddles to connect to a PC.  What is the utility or advantage
> of this vs using the built in keyer in the Orion?  In other words, why
> do I want one (or more accurately why should I want one)?  What will
> it
> do for station operations?

Is it? I haven't seen anything describing it except for those two
words. To me  a USB keyer would go the other way, it would plug into
the USB port of a computer and the key jack of a radio, allowing the
computer to key the radio. This used to be done by a serial port hack,
but serial ports no longer are available on many computers, and the
USB to serial converters can't do it.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM