Re: [TenTec] Help with Ham Radio Deluxe and Orion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help with Ham Radio Deluxe and Orion
From: "John T. Fleming" <john@w3gqj.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:33:17 -0400
Dave,

The 712 is strictly for running digital modes. It will not control HRD. You
need a USB to serial adapter to connect to the serial port on the Orion.

I returned the 712 because it does not generate a "port". I could not
control which programs were triggering the USB sound card in the 712. When I
clicked with the mouse in other programs than the digital program when I had
multiple programs that I was using, I would trip the PTT circuit. I am not
sure how they determine the PTT trigger, but it seemed that every time a
"click" noise was made by the computer, the PTT triggered. If you only run
one program open at a time, it is fine.

I am running Vista 32 and Windows 7 64 bit. Both of those operating systems
would not release the PTT on one digital program. When I tried my XP laptop,
everything released OK. So I have gone back to my RASCAL and the USB to
serial adapter. It worked fine except for Windows 7. Researching my USB to
serial adapter, it is not designed to work with a 64 bit system. :-{

73,
John