Re: [TenTec] Ten-tec Triton IV (540 restoration)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-tec Triton IV (540 restoration)
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:13:43 -0600
On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 08:48 -0700, Marvin Haynes wrote:
> I recently bought a Triton IV at a hamfest. It appeared to be a basket case
> , with the faceplate stained yellow with tobacco tar. It is a restoration
> project in progress, but I have managed to get the receiver back to life.
> The PTO tunes well, but the dial pointer is stuck on the right side. Before
>  I attempt to getting into the string, is there any Triton IV specific  dial
>  restring instructions out there on the internet?(like taking the faceplate
>  off to get to the string). Also, the receiver has a loud AGC pop.
>  I have read that this is a common problem, and there was a mod for this.
>  The serial # for my radio is 01012. Was this a very early version of
> the radio?  Any information would be appreciated.--Marvin, WB4OKM

I found a couple years ago that an industrial strength ammonia cleaner
from the hardware store was very effective at cleaning tobacco tar off a
radio front panel. It helped that this panel had been painted with epoxy
paint, I think. Others like 409 got the paper towel dirty but the panel
stayed yellow.

73, Jerry, K0CQ