Re: [TenTec] Restoring a Ten-Tec Triton IV (540)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Restoring a Ten-Tec Triton IV (540)
From: Marvin Haynes <wb4okm@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone on my earlier post on restoring my Triton IV, especially
Phil, N4ZSA.  I now have the transmitter going with about 90-95 watts on 80-15,
and about 75 on 10.  As for cleaning the tobacco tar of the faceplate, I used a
tip from Collins restorers.  I used a product called KRUD-KUTTER (tm). I got
mine from my local Ace Hardware store.  You apply it in sections, wait about 5
minutes, and the tar comes off in sheets!!  I used  one of those green fabric
scrubber pads found in the dish washing section of supermarkets to rub it
clean  It did not harm the lettering, but I was very careful about scrubbing
around them.  This was followed by an aluminum polish.  The result was a very
nice looking faceplate.  Thanks,  Marvin,WB4OKM