Re: [TenTec] Final Firmware O2

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Final Firmware O2
From: "Bruce McLaughlin" <bmclaugh@bex.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:06:38 -0500
I also own an Orion II and an Elecraft K-3.  I think one of the problems was
that a big selling point for the Orion was its promise of periodic firmware
upgrades which just never happened.  I think a lot of us felt rather let
down by that.  Although what upgrades there have been have improved the
performance of the radio, there are a number of things that still need
fixing but which don't seem to be addressed.  I think part of the problem
was that TenTec became involved in developing that fancy receiver, primarily
for the military.  Obviously, that was a big potential order and they
devoted the major part of their resources to finishing the development of
that unit.  While I can understand how that could cause delays in working on
the Orion, and they said as much, that receiver has apparently been finished
and on the market for some time now and yet I don't see any clear signs of a
return to Orion development.  I'm sure the Omni VII also contributed to the
paucity of Orion work.  And, as you know, a year or so ago they promised
that an improved sweep board was under development.  They stated that some
firmware had been developed but that the board would have to be reworked
before it could be released.  Although they stated no release date the fact
that it was being developed was mentioned on a number of occasions.
However, there has been nothing but silence ever since and I find that
disappointing as well.
Although I think the Orion II has many fine features, it's after sale
support just can't compare to Elecraft.  Elecraft is extremely responsive to
customer comments, wishes, and the occasional bug.  There are not very many
complaints and I suppose the major reason is the responsiveness of the
company to its customers.

I can't believe that the complaints, such as they were, should have
discouraged TenTec from working on the radio.  If that was the reason, then
I would have serious reservations about purchasing any further TenTec gear.
No radio is perfect and every one of them will draw some complaints,
justified or not.  But I really don't think that's any excuse for not
following through with what after all was a major selling point, i.e.
upgradability in the field through software changes.  I continue to be
hopeful that we will see new Orion II developments.  If not I would have to
think long and hard before buying an Orion III if there is one.  I don't
think anyone likes to buy an orphan but that is what the Orion II seems to
have become.  It would help if TenTec was more candid about what it's plans
are for future Orion development and then demonstrate that it can actually
follow through with them.

Bruce-W8FU