Re: [TenTec] Hercules II drive requirement

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II drive requirement
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:15:43 -0800
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:03:37 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:

>In that case I suspect the "10 watt K3" puts out more than 10 watts.
>Have you ever made any measurements to find out how much drive you
>really are giving the Hercules II? And also how are you determining that
>the Herc is being driven to full output?

I've only been using the Herc II during contests when I'm not at home, so
haven't done "real" power measurements of drive level or output power for
quite a while. Your point is taken, and when I have time, I'll set it up
with a Bird on both input and output. I can do that -- I have two, and
suitable slugs. Won't be right away though -- it's at my alternate SS QTH
right now. :)

My observations are 1) looking at the red light that indicates full power
AND the red light that indicates overdrive. The overdrive light comes on
only a fraction of a dB past the red power light. 2) Reading the output
power setting on the K3 front panel. That reading has been reliable in the
past, but who knows what evil lurks. :) FWIW, my Titans take 30-50W to get
to legal power (or as close to full power as I choose to run them), also
as indicated on the K3 output power indicator.

73,

Jim K9YC