Re: [TenTec] OmniVI question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:47:44 -1000
> There is a connection on the back of an OmniVI that says 'mute'. My
>
> question is this:
>
> does 'mute' activate the PIN diode QSK switch?? The reason I care is
>
> so that I can use 'mute' controlled by the other OmniVI
This is a very good question. The Operator's Manual does not give a very
detailed description of what it does. Looking at the schematics, it is
clearly an input to be controlled by something else. It is not an output
for muting something else.

The operator's manual says:

3-6.10 MUTE Input for manual transmit/receive switching such as a hand
or foot switch to over-ride QSK on CW mode.

That raises a bunch of questions, such as: What does it do in other
modes besides CW? Is it completely non-functional when in other modes,
or does it switch from receive to transmit in those modes too? One
presumes it will mute the receiver, at least when in CW mode, and maybe
in other modes too. If it does switch from receive to transmit, what all
happens? No TX power is generated unless the CW key or PTT switch is
also closed, right? What about in SSB mode, still no RF out until VOX or
PTT is active? Will the frequency display change from the RX to TX
frequency when in split or using RIT/XIT?

I'd like to hear what you find out about this.

DE N6KB