Re: [TenTec] Tentec XCVR Keying Loop and Amp Supply Amp Question?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tentec XCVR Keying Loop and Amp Supply Amp Question?
From: Doug Smith <doug@mtbluesky.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:03:33 -0700
Dennis,

Does your keyer have a relay output or an open collector output?

I have the Amp Supply LK-500ZC amp with the QSK option and the manual (page 7)
states that the Key In jack must be connected to a "bug, hand key or keyer
with a Reed Relay".  I've never been able to key the amp's QSK line with
anything with a solid state output.

That being said, I am running QSK by connecting the Omni-VII Amp Key line to
the RLY input on the amp and running the amp in VOX (not QSK) mode.

Using the RLY input, the LK-500ZC switches to transmit and is ready for RF at
8.5 milliseconds.  The Omni-VII Amp Key line goes to ground 15 milliseconds
before RF is produced.  So, the key down timing is good.  On key up, the
Omni-VII Amp Key line stays at ground for 8 milliseconds after RF output
decays to zero.  The amp switches back to receive in 5.2 milliseconds.  So,
the key up timing is good.

So, for my Omni-VII and my LK-500ZC a direct connection between the rigs Amp
Key line and the amps RLY input works very well.  Of course, your mileage may
vary and you'd be well advised to make some measurements rather than just
using the figures I've measured here..

73,
-Doug, W7KF