Re: [TenTec] Narrow signal on 28.027620 MHz

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Narrow signal on 28.027620 MHz
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:42:45 -1000
> It does not go away; same signal strength (I'd give it about a 7 on our
> RST scale).
>
> I don't know how to add attenuation at the antenna; are these the step
> attenuators I've seen that some QRP operators use to reduce their output
> power?

Since it does not go away when you disconnect the antenna, adding
attenuation to the antenna port is not going to tell us anything. The
signal is something generated within the receiver. It is either the
product of the mixture of oscillators and clocks all generated inside
the receiver, or it is possible that there is something getting in on
another lead, such as the power leads, data connection or audio
connections. I'm inclined to believe it is all from within the receiver
and no outside signals are involved. With a system as complex as the
Orion, it is possible that to duplicate it on another Orion almost every
single setting would have to be identical. Maybe the fellow who cannot
hear it on his Orion has some setting completely different from you,
resulting in one of the necessary component oscillators or clocks not
being on the same frequency as in your Orion. What about the local
oscillator in the auxiliary receiver? Maybe he habitually leaves his on
a WWV frequency and you habitually leave yours on some other frequency.
> I am going to try turning off other electrical gear near the transceiver
> (computer, principally) and see if that makes a difference.

Good idea. And in addition to turning things off, disconnect as much
stuff from the rig as possible.

DE N6KB