Re: [TenTec] Please help with touchy OMNI - D

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>, <ginnieruth@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Please help with touchy OMNI - D
From: "Mike Hyder --N4NT--" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:27:42 -0500
Usually the symptoms you describe are caused by the transmitter's going into
oscillation causing runaway current in the finals.  You can easily test as
follows:
a. With drive fully down, put the transmitter in Tune.
b. Slowly increase the drive, watching about any meter (RF, current, SWR,
etc.)
c. If when you begin to get a slight reading, the supply shuts down, you
have found the trouble.

The cure for this trouble is to replace the diodes in the circuit that
generates the ALC voltage.  On whatever board they are are also two or three
other diodes.  You ought change them all whilst you're in there.  It is not
a hard job.

73, Mike N4NT