[TenTec] Orion 2 - encoder clicks in the speaker or head phones when tur

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 2 - encoder clicks in the speaker or head phones when turned
From: N5FXV@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:27:04 EST
Maybe someone can figure this issue out.
 I bought my Orion 2 with all the extra filters new just over a  year ago.
When I first received the radio and was getting familiar with all  the
functions, I noticed that when the bandwidth, pass-band tuning, RF  gain, or NR
encoders were turned there were low audible  clicks/pops emitted from the
internal speaker, or the head phones. It didn't  matter what mode was selected
or which receiver was utilized. It still did  it. I contacted Tentec and
after they had me check all the ground  connections etc, and perform a couple
of battery resets and master  resets they suggested that I had a external
power supply problem. At their  suggestion I purchased a Tentec 963 power
supply to replace the current one  I had been using for a number of years.
After
the new power supply arrived I  connected it to the radio and the same
problem remained. I once again contacted  Tentec, and they recommended that I
ship the Orion 2 back to them for repair,  which I subsequently did. I received
the radio back in about two weeks with an  explanation that they could not
duplicate the issue; however they had replaced a  couple of capacitors as a
precaution. Well that didn't fix the problem. After a  few more weeks of
getting to know the Orion 2 I noticed an additional  issues that might be
related. When the bandwidth/filters are set to it  minimum setting (only
checked
in CW mode) and then return to some setting above  1500 or so, the audio
becomes distorted with a high pitched ring. The problem  will resolve itself if
the rig is cycled off and then on again. I have been a  Ham for many years,
and have had many rigs, but this is my first SDR  radio. Are all these
things normal? Is it something that the new firmware will  fix?

Thanks,
Kevin Santine - N5FXV