Re: [TenTec] Electric safety

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>, <geraldj@weather.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Electric safety
From: "DAVID HELLER" <dtx@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:53:22 -0500
I too do electrical power consulting work, and, like Jerry, have been on
cases involving poorly-trained people working on hot stuff - and it's never
fun to reconstruct the blame where severe injuries or fatalities are
involved.

Between graduation and grad school I did a stint as Jr.Engineer for an
electric utility - and whether beginner or old timer safety was preached day
in, day out.

Richards' laughing friends are the stupid ones. Do it yourself is fine for
many things, but not power-electric.  I hate these home-mechanic books
explaining how simple it is to add an outlet, etc.  Fine IF and ONLY IF you
have had the equivalent of an apprenticeship - or degrees in EE with a bit
of hands-on experience - or -  adequate fire and life/health insurance.

Even with supposedly qualified electricians doing the work I've seen too
many installations that  are booby traps, and too many of them have been
sprung before I get to see them.

Suggestions to all:  two things to avoid:  adapters for 3-prong 120 plugs to
old style 2-prong (ground terminal cut off is same thing), and the
all-too-common in residential construction: blue plastic junction boxes.

Will Jerry back me up?
Dave K3TX