Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:22:47 -0700
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:48:59 -0400, w4svo wrote:

>I an wondering if anyone has tried using this headset with the Orion?

I don't own an Orion, but I've owned a CM500 for about four months, and used
it extensively with my K3 for long periods of contesting. I've used it
directly with my Thinkpad and recording software to record contesting
messages. It works VERY well in both applications.

Contrary to what some Yamaha documentation says, it is an ELECTRET mic, NOT a
DYNAMIC, so you do need bias for it. The K3 provides that bias in the form of
8 volts through about 5K to the tip of the mic connector. You could easily
build a suitable adapter into a mic plug -- all it takes is that low-wattage
resistor from V+ on the mic jack to audio plus on the jack, and a 1/8-inch
jack to accept the mic. Although it is a 3-circuit jack, no connection is
needed to the ring contact.

73,

Jim K9YC