Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:55:09 -0400
They are probably less comfortable than some, better than most.... ;-)

The Yamaha and Koss headphones are pretty comfortable for the under $50
price tag.   It kinda depends on how long you wanna operate without
taking them off for awhile.  It is a fact of life that headphones and
headsets do become uncomfortable after a time.   But these sets are
fairly lightweight and can be work for quite a long time before serious
fatigue sets  in.   Open air can often be worn for longer periods,
provided they do not pinch the ears.  Otherwise, they can become
uncomfortable real quick, and in that case, the closed cup type, which
circumnavigate the entire ear and which rest on the head and not the
ears, are the long term winners.

I have found all headsets to become uncomfortable after a long period of
use.  My Sennheiser HMD-46-6 are probably the most comfortable of any
dual earphone models I have used, as they are open air earphones that
sit on the ears, but do not pinch.  If you want all day comfort prepare
to spend a penny or three.

See the Sennheiser HMD-45-6 here:
http://www.pro-sound.com/HS/SSENHMD45.html

My Shure SM-2 headset is good for many hours continuous use, but even
those become somewhat of a burden after several hours.    I think even
the best headphones or headsets can become uncomfortable after a long
period of use.

See the Shure SM-2 here:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/295153.html

The MOST COMFORTABLE HEADSET I OWN is the Shure Model 512, which is
built from the same components as the Heil BM-10 headsets - but the
Shure only has a single earphone receiver.  The Shure 512 has an
EXCELLENT MIC and sounds great with the Omni VII and that is why I
purchased the Model SM-2 with dual closed earphone receivers - both sets
use the same microphone element and sound exactly alike.  Both are very
comfortable, but because the Model 512 is so lightweight and uses open
air earphone receivers, it is like you have nothing on at all.   THIS
set you can wear for days at a time and totally forget you have it on.

See the Shure Model 512 here:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/306441.html

Therefore, I suspect the Heil BM-10 dual earphone headset would be super
comfortable - but not everyone wants an open air headphone receiver.  I
like them, but some guys want the closed cups to cancel fan and other
noise in the shack.

The Sennheiser HMD-280 headset is bulky, heavy and has a very quiet,
really too quiet microphone.   They clamp on the head and pinch way too
hard and have a very short comfort period.  I sold mine.

I suspect the new AudioTechnica BPHS1 headset would be very good and
very comfortable.   My ATH-M50 headphones built on the same design are
very comfortable over long periods of use.   I also suspect the
Beyerdynamic DT-290 headset would work very well and be very
comfortable.   I will try one of these two models next.

         A POSSIBLE REPRIEVE ....

I often use those $6 cotton covers Heil sells to keep them cool and keep
the vinyl from getting too hot and sweaty around the ears.

see them here:

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/parts/cotton-cover.htm
and here:
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/parts/index.htm

I use a set of Garfield headphone "Softies" on the Sennheiser phones.
Very comfortable and they add a long time to the time one can use them
without fatigue or discomfort.   These do not stretch as much as the
Heil covers, but are way more comfortable.  You gotta check the size of
the earphone receiver cup first...  See them here:

http://www.pro-sound.com/M1/SGARHS3.html

or here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368310-REG/Garfield_SGARHS1_Headphone_Softie_Earpad.html

IF YOUR XYL or YL or  "significant other" is any good at sewing, she
could make you a set of cotton or other fabric covers to make headset
listening more enjoyable.   These covers can absorb perspiration and
should be washable.  They can help lower perspiration by covering the
usual vinyl leatherette earphone covers with something softer and more
breathable.

Just MY take....