Re: [TenTec] DeoxIT

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DeoxIT
From: Dave Haupt <w8nf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
There's an indoor vendor @ the Dayton Hamvention who shows up with all the CAIG
products every year.  I don't recall their name, but I always bring a list of
what I might be out of.

Some years ago, I put in an order to CAIG for a dozen products and it's served
me well.

DeoxIT is a mild acid in a carrier, fairly weak.  The spray stuff is weaker
than the liquid, but the spray stuff can still attack some plastics.  As others
have said, it is really best to use a liquid and dab it on.  Then operate the
device manually and then wipe off any excess.

On old Drake gear, a common problem is "crackling" in the receive audio.  Lots
of hams start replacing coupling and bypass caps right and left, but the usual
culprit is oxidation of the tube pins and socket contacts for the hottest tube
in the receiver, which is the audio output tube.  I pull the tube, wipe liquid
DeoxIT on the pins, then insert and remove the tube a few times.  Then wipe off
the pins, re-insert, pull out and wipe again.  After doing that, it'll be
nearly ten years before the oxidation returns.

DeoxIT has a little bit of contact treatment in it, so I have never felt the
need to use a contact preservative.

But, DeoxIT is for metal contacts only.  Do not use it to clean potentiometers.
 The product for that is "Cailube" also from Caig.  It has some sort of lube in
it that leaves the pots feeling a bit more velvety as well.

Of all the Caig stuff I bought some years ago, the only products I'm presently
using is DeoxIT liquid and Cailube.  The Cailube is in a spray can - about the
only way you can get into a potentiometer.

In addition to ordering directly from Caig, I have also ordered most of their
stuff from MCM Electronics.  But it's been quite a while since I needed any
refills anyway.

73,

Dave W8NF