Re: [TenTec] Opinions on the Paragon

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Opinions on the Paragon
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:01:30 -0400
Personally, I love my Paragon. It has specs that rival many of the newest
radios, is fun to operate, and is (IMHO) the best looking radio (along with
the Omni V and VI) that has ever been made...even better than the classic
Collins S-Line, which is a close second. I suspect there are lemons out
there in any model of equipment, and the solder issues on the PLL boards
with these radios is well known, but other than that, it is pretty
bulletproof. I bought mine used and it went 6 years before I had to address
that loop problem. I love the general coverage receive and the ability to
work 60m right away, the ability to use any filter in any mode, and the
alphanumeric display for memories. I would get a more modern chip like sold
by N4PY or Gielh, as the one-button band changing and band-stacking
registers are a must for pleasant operating, but those are still inexpensive
and available. Crystal filters are also readily available. Finding an RS-232
board to allow computer control is pretty tough, and unless you have the
N4PY chip, finding software that controls the original Paragon's unique
commands is hard (I wrote my own), but for the prices these radios usually
sell for, I think they are about the best bargain in high-performing radios
out there.

=Vic=
WA4THR