[TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VII vs. K3 ? Opinions invited.
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
I have owned two  K2s,  so I am familiar with its ergonomics, features, and
short comings.

I assume the K3 will be similar.

= Nope! =

K3 is another animal, I cannot think of much the K3 and K2 have in common
beyond the 2D fasteners. Sorry to the K2 guys (I built two myself), the K2 is a
Flintstones car with rock hard ride and pattering feet, the K3 is a Rolls
Royce.

That having been said - if you are a fan of Ten Tec, the OMNI 7 gives up little
to nothing as compared to K3 for the uses you have suggested. I don't like
multifunction knobs, there is that, but what a nit, eh?

To live in a time when you can choose from two radios from US companies, simple
radios top operate that rival Orion in performance, it's a win-win.

I no longer have the Orion.

The new rig is to be my main rig, not used for travel, and I have no plans
to ever remote an HF transceiver.

I work about 50/50, rag chewing on 40/80 SSB, and semi-serious contesting on CW.

No FM required.