Re: [TenTec] Orion II 15 m CW Transmit Power Fluctuation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II 15 m CW Transmit Power Fluctuation
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:51:42 -0700
Kim:

I would look at the low-pass filter board for the problem, especially if it
also happens on 17 meters as well as 15, but not on other bands.  My first
suspicion would be a cold solder joint on K10 or K11 on the A1 board, or on
any of the associated components: C 21, 23, 48, 78 or L 12 or 16.  K10 or
K11 could also have bad contacts.

Since this happens on CW and on both an antenna and dummy load, I would tend
to discount an RFI related problem, although it certainly is a possibility.
Try transmitting with the covers removed and tap the various components with
a non-conducting tool and see if that makes the problem come and go.

Are there any other symptoms, such as more of a problem at 100 Watts than at
a lower power?

            Ron N6IE
       www.N6IE.com