Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Rig Comparisons
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 04:42:55 -0400
On 4/29/2010 4:03 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:

                > Newer hams need to listen to HF bands for
                many hours and under differing conditions to
                condition their ears to optimum "Communications
                Quality", if they want to succeed with weak
                signal work.

Yes.  Yes.   Well said.

As a relatively new ham, I suffer from this, although with more
experience and more time on the air, I am getting better at it.
But it IS an acquired skill.

My first experiences contesting were especially challenging and
I had to really concentrate to get the other station's call sign
on the first call.    A couple of times, I just told the guy
I was a rookie - and he would slow down and enunciate better,
so I could get it quickly.   I appreciated that.  Many older hams
slur their call signs as a single utterance and that is particular
difficult for the new ham to make out.    The really good contestants
seem to enunciate clearly all the time as it obviates the other
station from asking for repeats.