Re: [TenTec] Argonaut Guru Search

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut Guru Search
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:49:38 -0400
Jim,
I have one, but the topic of the 505 had a lot of helful posts to QRP-L
back in the 90's.  I would suggest you search the list archives
available from QRP-ARCI club website.  Most everything is there you
might need.

Note the finals are obsolete transistors but Dan's Small Parts and Kits
had an RF transistor that would work.  There were actually a couple of
part numbers that folks have substituted over the years, if you ever
need finals.

There is not much to do to the radio, as for its power, it is adequately
sensitive, and maybe the only thing some might do is an outboard or in
box additional IF filter for CW.  It is not really practical for this
radio to cover the WARC bands, and that would detract from antique
value, if it was butchered to add bands.

But, it is a very enjoyable rig, which our club has used for QRP Field
Days with very good antennas (high gain) with good results on SSB!
-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH