Re: [TenTec] Agronaut Manual

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Agronaut Manual
From: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:44:11 +0300
On May 19, 2010, at 1:05 AM, Jim Vohland wrote:

> Thanks so much. The manual for the 505 (which my argo is) does not
> match the type of dial string I have, but the 509 manual seems to
> match. I should get it going or so I hope. 73, Jim.

I think the thing that anyone who wants to fix an Argonaut needs to
keep in mind is that while they are three different models, with
slightly different looks and features (although the 515 has that
spiffy paint job and the "blikenlights") they are basically the same
radio with a continuum of changes and improvements.

At some point in the manufacturing process, TenTec decided to change
the model number and the official specs and make a formal announcment,
in other cases, they "just did it". My 509 manual shows a sidetone
board with two adjustments (tone and level) with the annotation that
some models a different board with only a level control. I don't know
if it was an option or a change hidden under the covers.

Another change is the t/r relay, later models use diode switching.

Good luck and 73,

Geoff.
--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM