Re: [TenTec] TT 708 Microphone Wiring

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 708 Microphone Wiring
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 19:56:16 -0500
Here's my wild guess, working without data. I suspect there are four
wires in the cable, colored black, white, red, and green. I suspect
black is ground for PTT, and white is PTT. Red is audio and green is
audio return. I'd bet that every 4 pin radio connector from Tentec has
had the same connections, which should be clear in the Arvo V manual
which I don't have. The connector itself is a common CB/ham audio
connector available in nearly every Radio Shack and many truck stops.

It could be that there are only three wires and a braid shield. I'd
expect the braid to be the audio return, black and white the PTT wires
(intended for black to be grounded) and the remaining wire, probably red
is the hot audio wire. The PTT wires may be inside or outside the braid.
There's less noise to the audio if they are outside the braid so the
braid makes the audio return, the shielded wire the hot audio and the
other two wires make the PTT. These connections have worked for many a
radio that I've known about in the past 55 years, but kid engineers can
come up with new almost workable schemes.

In past times, many a TenTec microphone came from ElectroVoice since one
of the founders of TenTec made his fortune at ElectroVoice.

73, Jerry, K0CQ