Re: [TenTec] wither CW

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] wither CW
From: "N4PY2" <n4py2@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 18:02:58 -0400
The new theories on learning morse point out a very important point about
learning morse.  It is best to learn sounds immediately and never learn the
sight of dots and dashes.  It goes like this.  Assume you study written down
dots and dashes and commit them very well to memory.  Then you hear morse.
You hear di dah and your brain converts that to dot dash and you recall dot
dash is A.  So everytime you hear a letter, you do a double conversion.
This is exactly what happens to anyone that learns morse as pictures of dots
and dashes.  This works until you get to about 10 wpm or so and then you
find you can't go any faster.  Then one day your brain figures out it can
drop the dot dash pictures and you go from sound to letters immediately.
And bam all of a sudden you can copy 15 to 20 wpm.

The best way to learn code is with a computer program that teaches you
sounds immediately.  You never have to do the double conversion.  Your speed
will go up much faster when starting out this way.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Dr
Hays, NC 28635
www.n4py.com