Re: [TenTec] Delta II -- Good/Bad NO, ITS EXCELLENT

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Delta II -- Good/Bad NO, ITS EXCELLENT
From: "Kris Merschrod" <Kris@merschrod.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:24:03 -0400
Ok, Bill,

I bought my rig new in the 1990s in spite of the crummy review in QST
because I read and believed TenTec's write up and in spite of the idea that
the imported rigs had great features at less the price.  I originally wanted
the Argo model but I had to be pragmatic b/c I was going to be managing a
project in Ecuador that had field stations and Ecuadorian assigned HF
channels.  In Peru I used that feature during a natural disaster on the Min.
Health frequencies.  You can even go CB if you want too!

That's point number one - you push two buttons and you can transmit on any
frequency from 160 up to 10 meters (That was very useful when 60 Meters came
on 5 channels - now memories in my Delta II).

I liked the feature of a quick tap on a button to save the frequency as you
look around and then another tap and you are back there.

Then there is the gain control so that you can OP QRP  (plus useful for the
50 Watt condition on 60 meters)

The variable IF or jones filter - a gem for tweeking the audio quality of
the signal for any mode (it is variable from  ; and combine that with the
BPT and you really clear up a lot of QRM.  That Notch Filter is neat too
when you want to conduct a QSO on top of a 40 meter Heterodyne.

I must point out that the knobs are as smooth as silk and firm and well
positioned.

There are 48 memories (small change these days, but for a guy born with only
2K of Ram it sure is nice - I have yet to fill them up).

Audio - since the beginning I've used the Heil BM-10 with both the HC-4 and
HC-5 elements and from all over the reports are that the audio quality is
excellent.  On the receive the speaker is ok for the size that it is - I've
used a PVC plumbing elbow on top of it to direct the sound toward the front,
but headphones are my preference.  Vox is my usual approach and the delay,
gain and antivox adjust to perfection.

CW - TenTec's famous for the QSK - just fine.
PSK etc. there is a jack on the rear that allows you to wire up to suit the
TNC or what have you.
Keyer - I've used the Idiom Press keyer since way back - easy to hook up.
Yes, I did a little satelite operating - I forget which one that was 10
meters up 15 meters down?

Durability - well that rig went with me from the US, to Ecuador, to Peru, to
the US down to Puerto Rico and back.  I used the original boxes each time
inside the usual moving company boxes - they survived.

What's gone wrong?  Those little rubber feet on the side disolved in the
heat; the backlight went, but I have a replacement this year thanks to
MM0RKT (Bob) who sent me not only an original but also a newer brighter one
made in England; and VXO difficulties.  TenTec had some issues with the
VXOs, and they resoldered some of the surface mounted parts - charged once -
no charge the second time.  BUT, even with the backlight out for a few years
all I did was shine a bright light at the front from a desk lamp and it
could be read.

It does what it is supposed to do and, for the era, the size is compact
compared with the larger TenTec rigs.

That's the "consumer report."

Kris KM2KM

Merschrod