Re: [TenTec] Bandswitching the 253 with OMNI VII or Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bandswitching the 253 with OMNI VII or Orion
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:21:31 -0400
Gary:

An alternative is to use either quad array photo-Darlingtons packages for
low-current interface applications...

http://www.vishay.com/docs/83650/83650.pdf

Or PhotoMOS, to directly drive relays or other moderate-current devices.
The diode section of these devices can be powered by one unit, while the
transistor side references power from the interfaced device, resulting in
excellent optical isolation between equipment.

http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/pmos/pdf/aqw21_.pdf

Granted, a small array of packaged MOS devices can be a bit pricey,
However, as a substitute, the previous photo-Darlington could be used to
drive a simple and inexpensive medium-power MOS transistor.

In either case, there's a broad range of optical devices available today in
several different packages to allow for power supply and signal line
isolation between equipment.

Paul, W9AC