Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525
From: "Jim Marco" <jmarco@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 22:21:19 -0400
I will qualify this response by saying I am by no means an expert on this or
any other radio. I can tell you what I have done successfully on the two
Argosy radios I have. From the published mods, I added the audio roll-off
capacitor change and the AGC time constant capacitor change. I also
populated the vacant R1 position on the Audio/IF board and created a "fixed"
RF Gain control to reduce the overall IF gain. With just these changes, the
performance of the radio was improved greatly and the strong signal
performance is very acceptable for a radio of this design. I think it's
difficult to make a few hundred dollar radio perform like a few thousand
dollar radio. These simple changes make a big difference without reinventing
the wheel. Ultimately, you are the best judge of what works for you. Good
luck.