Re: [TenTec] Looking for a cheap rig...etc.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for a cheap rig...etc.
From: "Dave Plews" <djplews@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:05:24 -0500
Therefore, with the budding interest in operating CW the discussion should
be toward a keyboard and an automated Morse code reader I suppose (J/K).
Very likely many of you in this forum started out with quite modest
equipment unless, of course, your father was your Elmer and he had been on
the air chasing rare DX for years.  As for me, I can tell stories about my
first year on the air with my Knight T-50 transmitter and my Hallicrafters
SX-146.  After several months with crystal control only I made my way to
Allied Radio on 100 North Western Avenue in Chicago to buy a Knight V-44 VFO
which allowed me to then work all the bands from 80 to 10 meters.  With that
I was able to obtain WAC and WAS of which I'm still proud of this day more
than 40 years later.
I can still recall my first transmit/receive antenna switch, too.  It was a
ceramic DPDT knife switch!  Wish I still had it!  Got lost in moves I guess.
Starting out with modest gear is the way to start IMHO.
GL and gud DX.  My 73, Dave W9TG...