Re: [TenTec] Omni D issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni D issue
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:01:25 -0500
Its not the flux capacitor. Those are only part of science fiction star
ships.

It can be band dependent. If its on 18 MHz it could be that using the
low side injection crystal is causing the the second harmonic of the LO
to leak through the mixer and make a spur. So with very low output (e.g.
by reducing the mike gain) you have only one signal from the LO leakage,
but when you turn up the mic gain you have two and that confuses the
tuner because it can't tune with two input signals half a MHz apart.

Sometimes in a radio VOX circuit the BOX delay capacitor gathers charge
from audio input while the PTT is held and that delays release of the TR
relay. Could be the relay.

SWR measurement is dependent on their being only one signal to the SWR
meter, not two or more so a radio with a spurious output like the Omni D
has on 18 with the low side injection crystal.

73, Jerry, K0CQ