Re: [TenTec] Paragon II / Other Opinions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II / Other Opinions
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 12:00:25 -0400
I have the original Paragon and find it to be a versatile rig. I had
problems with the PLL boards that I solved by reflowing the solder. This
is not a problem with later Paragons. Ten Tec redesigned the PLL
circuits and improved the workmanship.  My only complaint with the
Paragon is that Ten Tec used cheap potentiometers which get "scratchy",
unless shot regularly with contact cleaner. The other thing to look for
is signs of  leakage from the memory backup battery.

The general coverage receive capability is excellent, of you enjoy
shortwave broadcast or utility monitoring.

It seems to me that Ten Tec designed the Paragon with MARS or embassy
use in mind. Mine has what looks like a gas-gap EMP suppressor across
the antenna connector. Also, I believe that the Paragon was once
available under GSA contract.

             73,

             Bob WB2VUF