[TenTec] Titan 425 Initial Tune-Up settings - high VSWR

To: "TenTec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan 425 Initial Tune-Up settings - high VSWR
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:21:29 -0600
During the past weekend I participated in the phone Sweepstakes and observed
high VSWR on my OMNI-VII while driving my Titan 425 using the published
settings for 75 meters when operating between 3.8 and 3.9 MHz.

The manual suggests; BAND 75, TUNE 5.5, LOAD 7.5, FREQ 3.9 MHz. but with BAND
75 selected the load control was near 10 and the driver VSWR was nearly 10 to 1!

By switching the Titan bandswitch to 80, the LOAD setting became 3, TUNE stayed
at 5.5, FREQ stayed at 3.8 – 3.9 and the VSWR dropped to 1.1 to 1.

Over the twenty plus years I’ve had this Titan 425-E as the original owner, I
had seldom used it on 80 and even less on 75 so I had not observed the high
VSWR. A new OMNI-VII with its “High Current” notification and shut-off
protection got my attention to the fact and drove me to the solution.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705