[TenTec] Omni VI+ sustainability

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ sustainability
From: "Speer, Doug" <Doug.Speer@FairbanksMorse.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:20:32 -0600
I've been reading the string of comments with great interest.  I too own an
Omni VI+ which I think is a fine radio.  Due to the history of my particular
VI+, Ten-Tec will not service it.  However after suffering some static
discharge damage thanks to some most excellent technician work by Bob, K4TAX
the rig has been running great for more than two years since being repaired.
Although an engineer by education I am not an accomplished electronic
technician and do not have the test equipment to support component level
troubleshooting. I pretty much have to rely on others for anything more than
very basic trouble shooting and repairs when needed.  Which brings me to my
point, or more precisely, my question.  With more and more components becoming
unobtainable, how much longer should we expect the Omni VI+ to be supportable.
Is the life cycle of the rig to the point or nearing the point where they need
to be in the hands of the serious technicians or simply resolve that they wil
 l become museum pieces if they fail?

Doug, W9PN