[TenTec] Easy Sticky PTO solution, again

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Easy Sticky PTO solution, again
From: "dbp tds.net" <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:35:14 -0500
  Sticky PTO causing backlash, in my opinion does not mean the PTO needs to
be rebuilt. It does mean that you have to clean every bit of the 20 plus
year old grease out of the PTO shaft and re-lube it with something that
won't sludge up.
  As many times as some of you have "rebuilt" a PTO I have opted for a more
simple solution; Tri-Flo bicycle chain lubricant contains "microscopic
silicone balls" of luricant that lubricates the PTO shaft simply.
  Take the cover off to get to the PTO, no need to remove it from the rig.
Just unplug it from power. Clean out he old grease as best you can. Stand
the rig up on its side and spray this lubricant into the PTO cavity. Run the
PTO from end to end many times and you will see  the grease fall away. Wipe
and clean as necessary. Don't use Q Tips.
  It is a little messy so have some paper under the rig to contain the
drippings. When you are done the PTO is clean and lubed. Voila! No PTO parts
removed.
  If the PTO brass shaft is worn, well that is a different story. I have
never seen brass and nylon actually wear out, but maybe the shaft gets
bent.
Just one users opinion. Omni in cellar shack is still turning freely and
without backlash after 4 years. An auto mechanic 40 Years ago told me: "If
it ain't broke, don't fix it". Good words, re-focused.
73 de Dave
K1OPQ in NH