[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 95, Issue 39

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 95, Issue 39
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:16:25 -0800 (PST)
Doug,

This service sounds the way I remember it, a square deal from TenTec to the
insurance company and ending up on Bob's doorstep!

My OMNI VI+ is only ;-) a little more than 10 years old and it was built with
state of the art technology. It is still my most capable rig and I could choose
anything. There should be many more good years ahead for it.

I hear inexpensive Chinese HF's are on the horizon (to undercut even Japanese
pricing) and have seen an example of such. I dont want them, I want TenTec to
keep my Cadillac running in tip top shape.

73,
Don

Don,
Without going into the long story, Ten-Tec did once repair my Omni VI+ and
although they got it working told me they suspected the rig had been the victim
of "static discharge" damage, aka lightning damage.  The rig failed again
shortly after the repairs and the advice of Ten-Tec was that the unit was not
"economically" repairable and provided me a letter on Ten-Tec letterhead to
that effect which I used for a homeowners insurance lightning damage claim.  As
an aside I also lost some other electronic gear in the same storm.  Since
Ten-Tec had provided me the "not economically repairable" letter, they feel it
would be un-ethical to work on the rig anymore regardless of my willingness to
pay for the repairs.  After filing the claim I asked my insurance company for
disposition instructions for the damaged Omni and they put in writing to me
that they did not want the unit sent to them and I was free to do whatever I
wanted with it.  Sometime after all this I contacted Bob and he agreed to look
at the rig and did what I consider an outstanding job at a fair
price.  Ok, this did get long.
Doug, W9PN