Re: [TenTec] Speech to Text

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Speech to Text
From: kf6e@mail.com
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:01:57 -0500
This just occurred to me: How would a deaf person tune in a SSB signal?  You
can see a CW signal on the spectrum of CW Sweeper and other CW reading
programs; likewise for PSK and RTTY.  But I can't imaging how you would tune in
a SSB signal without hearing it.  Just lining it up within a spectral range
wouldn't work, because of differences in mics, audio processors, propagation,
speakers, etc.  Since speech-to-text software uses harmonic relationships to
discriminate among sounds (I believe) being off by more than a few Hz could
keep it from working at all.

I sometimes have trouble tuning in sideband (I am hearing-impaired, but not
deaf), so if there's a way to augment the tuning process, I'd be very
interested.

73,
Frank
KF6E