Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:28:54 -0600
When I was first into ham radio, I was just a kid and had practically no
money.
Most of the guys I knew, including me, used a light bulb as a dummy.
We couldn't afford a real dummy.  (The Heathkit Cantenna later changed
that.)

The wattage was very easy; although we rated our transmitters in "Input
Power", we guestimated the output power (say, 60%...depending on the class
of the amplifier) and then chose a light bulb just slightly larger.
If we had a rig rated 100w, we used a 60w or 75w light bulb.

When lit, it quickly approached 50 Ohms.
The trouble is, it was not 50 Ohms when unlit and cold, so the load varied.
Not a problem with a continuous carrier or AM.
It was not a very good dummy load for SSB, where the power level is changing
all the time.
Especially with today's SSB rigs which don't like more than 3:1 SWR, you
might have problems.
I would not do that today.

Although we considered it a dummy, I have made many QSOs with my lightbulb
dummy.

73
Rick