Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 Superhet Receiver

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 Superhet Receiver
From: "Walt Amos" <waltk8cv4612amos@att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:40:13 -0500
I have not played with mine in a long time. The little 9 volt internal
battery must still be good as the memories are still there. YOU do need a 12
foot piece of coax before you connect to an antenna because it hears it's
own microprocessor loud and clear otherwise! I started at around 15,000 kc
and tuned UP! Found RCI ( radio canida international ) at 15, 365 and was
using my ringo ranger on the chimney for an antenna and it sounded pretty
good but I moved over to my 40 meter dipole and they sounded a whole lot
better. The audio is clear and if I remember an external speaker is very
nice with it and there is plenty of umph in the little IC to drive it. It
tunes up in 5 kc increments and most of the stations I heard were on those
intervals. Lots of bible thumpers! It does have a fast button and you can
move in 1 meg leaps so the lack of a key pad is not too bad. Heard my first
ham at 18,160 so had to change to SSB and that jumps in 2.5 kc steps so the
clarafier comes into play. Yes, you need to rough tune and then fine tune, a
pain in the rump! There was nobody near for interference but there are
really NO interference fighting tools in the little box! Finally I hit the
CB band 27,085 AM , but they speak a different language, if you know what I
mean. :-) finally 27,365 I hit a CB SSBer and he tuned in ok. at 28,255 I
tuned in a ham, well, he wasn't there it kept sending K8HWW/B michigan !
>From there I went to the 20 meter band and found a few SSB stations but they
are hard to tune but doo able ! YOU need to use the CLARIFIER on each and
every one unless they fall on an even 2.5 main tuning spot.

Building it I remember was a pretty big problem and I delt with TT a lot but
they sent parts and talked me through the weird parts of the manual. It
really sandwitches into that small case but it all fits. Would you be better
off with a Yaesu FT-450 or a second hand Argonaut V, probably, but if you
want it on the night stand in your bedroom get a Grundig Yaght Boy 400 or
something in that class from

<http://www.Universal-radio.com>

for $99 dollars and be happy ever after!

Now where is that EAGLE manual? What, only 2 vacant roofing filter holes,
DARN !

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.